Monday, July 5, 2010

Lee Bender. A tale of a Skater/ Chopper Jockeys battle with M.S.

  I asked Lee to wright a little something about him self for the blog and this is what he had to say.

 Im long winded, so ill keep it bare bones for sure.
lee bender, skateboarder, multiple sclerosis customer. workin on raising some money to pay for an illegal procedure to possibly cure m.s. in Katowice Poland sometime in 2011. need 11 grand, already raised 2500. still need 8500. trying to hold onto my car, but have a car to sell if necessary.

skateboarder first. 8.25x32, indy 149s, oj 60mm wheels no risers. ride and change the oil on my evo sporty chop. it starts everytime and goes everywhere. recently from Indianapolis to Denver, thru the mountains on highway50 down thru monument valley, blasted thru Barstow, down into San Bernardino over to Hollywood and long beach. up the coast to sf on the pch. only problems where getting struck by lightening in the Rockies at 12,000 feet, a worn out chain and a bald tire once i got to my new home of San Francisco. I've got no complaints as my meds keep the ms for getting any worse, but they do absolutely nothing for regenerating any new or fixing any damaged nerve endings. my hands and feet have been numb for 3 years, my balance is off enough where i can skate, i have cognitive issues where my short term memory is a little off and i get tired/exhausted after being on my feet for more than 60-90 minutes... no big deal considering that some people wake up blind or paralyzed with this stuff. i still ride my bike daily and physically, i look totally fine and normal...its just my insides are eating themselves alive...
Here are a few links to pass along for both my stupid life blog thing and some info for the liberation procedure in case others who suffer from ms are reading this...

 Check out the links below. I wish Lee the best of luck and hope that this info helps some other folks that may be battling m.s... At the very least check out Lees Blog (the first link it rocks!) and the second one to the Real skateboard company has a video that is well worth the time to see. 

 http://www.onesickrace.com/
http://www.dlxsf.com/summer10/rs/#leebender
http://www.thisisms.com/forum-40.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/CCSVI-in-Multiple-Sclerosis/110796282297?ref=ts

It also turns out that Lee built what is known (online to dummies like me any how) as "The pope hat bike" or "that bike with the pope hat" and so on. I have always dug this bike and the out of the box mini fairing/bug deflector. So I pilfered these images from the J.J. Hope you don't mind Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment